You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - [SUGGESTION] Crescent Removal From Banner
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information [SUGGESTION] Crescent Removal From Banner

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Forum Feedback & Complaints   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Al-Quraishi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Capricorn

blank.gif

Post subject: [SUGGESTION] Crescent Removal From Banner Reply with quote  

Quote:
In 339 BC the city of Byzantium, (later known as Constantinople and then Istanbul), won a decisive battle under a brilliant waxing moon which they attributated to their patron Goddess Artemis whose symbol was the crescent moon. In honor of Artemis the citizens adopted the crescent moon as their symbol. When the city became the Christian Constantinople in 330 AD, Constantine also added the Virgin Mary's star on the flag. When the Ottoman Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol.

The star and crescent historically was a symbol of the Ottoman Empire, but later became associated with Islam in general. Now its popularity among Muslims makes it comparable to the Christian cross and the Star of David. Many Muslim nations such as Pakistan use it on their national flag, as does the secular Republic of Turkey, the successor state to the Ottoman Empire.(wiki)

I don't think we should use the crescent on the forum banner, my reasons being obvious Wink

Salams
Post Posted:
Sat 21 Oct, 2006 5:17 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Re: [SUGGESTION] Crescent Removal From Banner Reply with quote  

Zayd wrote:
Quote:
In 339 BC the city of Byzantium, (later known as Constantinople and then Istanbul), won a decisive battle under a brilliant waxing moon which they attributated to their patron Goddess Artemis whose symbol was the crescent moon. In honor of Artemis the citizens adopted the crescent moon as their symbol. When the city became the Christian Constantinople in 330 AD, Constantine also added the Virgin Mary's star on the flag. When the Ottoman Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol.

The star and crescent historically was a symbol of the Ottoman Empire, but later became associated with Islam in general. Now its popularity among Muslims makes it comparable to the Christian cross and the Star of David. Many Muslim nations such as Pakistan use it on their national flag, as does the secular Republic of Turkey, the successor state to the Ottoman Empire.(wiki)

I don't think we should use the crescent on the forum banner, my reasons being obvious Wink

Salams

No problem, I actually agree with you, i will tell the graphic designer who did it to change it

Cheers
Post Posted:
Sat 21 Oct, 2006 6:58 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Life
Pawn
Pawn

botswana.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

Quote:

The flag of Pakistan has nothing to do with above theory. Infact the flag was designed by Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan.

The flag of Pakistan is dark green in colour with a white bar, a white crescent in the centre and a five-pointed star. The significance of the colour and symbols used in the Pakistan Flag is as follows:

The white and dark green field represents Minorities & Muslim majority, respectively.
The crescent on the Flag represents progress.
The five-rayed star represents light and knowledge.

Just because 1000s year before crescent was used, it doesnt attaches us to that history. btw why paten history? I appeal not to modify the banner.
Post Posted:
Sun 22 Oct, 2006 5:57 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Not a bad point at all life

I guess we need a poll and what the majority say should be executed

there is a lot of work to do in here and I hope many brothers and sisters join us so we have a broad rand of ideas and suggestions

Take care all
Post Posted:
Sun 22 Oct, 2006 9:51 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Salam brother Zayd

do you mind if we raise a poll between all of us to seek removing the crecesnt or not?

I actually accept both arguments provided by you and brother saleem, so I'm a bit puzzled in what to do

My vote will actually be to remove it, this is just my attitude to avoid comlications for others who lack the knowledge about its symbol in Islam

Take care
Post Posted:
Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:28 am
Life
Pawn
Pawn

botswana.gif

Salam bro Ahmed and Zayd,

I say we postpone the polls for sometime, probably until we have 100 users at least.

Let me add Algeria, Comoros, Mauritania, Tunisia, Maldives, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Malaysia, Singapore, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan all these countries have crecent in their flags. When you read the defination/meaning of these flags none reflect the theory of brother Zayd.

BTW bro Zayd do you belief in traditional 5times prayers, mosques and Kabba? Im asking because many so called God/Quran aloners dont, if you are one of them it explains your point. Because many mosques hold crecent sign.
Post Posted:
Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:24 am
Al-Quraishi
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.gif

Salam Brother,

Islam is not a religion of Objects or such symbols, if anything we should use the name of God as is also present.

Quote:
The flag of Pakistan has nothing to do with above theory. Infact the flag was designed by Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan.

The flag of Pakistan is dark green in colour with a white bar, a white crescent in the centre and a five-pointed star. The significance of the colour and symbols used in the Pakistan Flag is as follows:

The white and dark green field represents Minorities & Muslim majority, respectively.
The crescent on the Flag represents progress.
The five-rayed star represents light and knowledge.

Just because 1000s year before crescent was used, it doesnt attaches us to that history. btw why paten history? I appeal not to modify the banner.

You're forgetting friend that we're not in Pakistan and I tell you now that it's no coincidence that all the nations you mentioned apart from Pakistan were once part of the Ottoman Empire and now they have crescents on their flags.

Quote:
BTW bro Zayd do you belief in traditional 5times prayers, mosques and Kabba? Im asking because many so called God/Quran aloners dont, if you are one of them it explains your point. Because many mosques hold crecent sign.

For your question on my prayer, I pray 5 times a day toward the Kaba.

And in my opinion, if Mosques should have anything on them it is a single spire representing the oneness of God. Mosques never originally had Crescents on them, it's as clear cut as that.

Also - I'm sure brother Ahmed knows this - but as a Muslim Ummah, we have always had one flag, not these flags of the divided post-colonial states with crescents on them.

Quote:
do you mind if we raise a poll between all of us to seek removing the crecesnt or not?

Salam Brother,

I urge you to get the designer to take it down, I think you, like me understands why. Even if we aren't sure (which I know we are) we should take it down.

Peace Brothers
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 5:05 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Thank you brother Zayd

I accept your argument, I just talked to the graphic designer and he is doing it right now, it will be replaced in a mater of minutes mate

Take care
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 9:58 am
Life
Pawn
Pawn

botswana.gif

Salam bro Zayd,

Cresent doesnt represent Allah, it is a sign like everything we observe around signs to a Creator for believers. I donot believe it has anything to do with Islam. Today cresent represents begenning, cresent represents progress, alot more. As per you in 339 BC patron Goddess Artemis symbol was the crescent moon. So we shall not use it for any reason, since 2500 year ago, some people patent it. How bloody fair ? Why are you punishing the poor cresent moon.

Crescent Moon, Crescent Moon,
So sickly, so bright!
What is your story?
Would you tell me if you dared?
Oh, well it doesn't matter, we will defeat the darkness together;
Best friends forever.

Wink
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:13 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Salam dear Brothers

I removed it to avoid conjectures by our enemy

Take care all
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:15 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

forgot to say, please empty your cach and cookies before you can see it

Cheers
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:16 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

for some reason, i still get it under free-islam.com, even though the file was deleted and I emptied my off line folder and all internet files, if you try free-islam.net or free-islam.org it will be ok

Take care
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:31 am
Life
Pawn
Pawn

botswana.gif

Sad
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:37 am
Al-Quraishi
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.gif

Salam brother Life,

With all due respect your argument to the contrary was very weak, but your argument supporting it's removal is much better:

Quote:
Cresent doesnt represent Allah, it is a sign like everything we observe around signs to a Creator for believers. I donot believe it has anything to do with Islam.

Then we were right to take it down.

Salam
Post Posted:
Tue 24 Oct, 2006 5:37 pm