You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - FI Web Server
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information FI Web Server

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Announcements   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: FI Web Server Reply with quote  

Hello all

Last night I was working on my firewall trying to tight security after the hacking of FFI, by mistake I ticked a box that I should not tick, this lead to disabling all traffic to FI web site, I went to bed after that without being aware of my fatal mistake, this morning I received an email from IW1 and he advised me with the problem, i checked the firewall this morning and discovered my stupidity, all up and running now, sorry for any downtime

Cheers

Last edited by AhmedBahgat on Sat 15 Mar, 2008 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Posted:
Fri 14 Mar, 2008 6:51 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
BMZ

Zodiac: Libra

singapore.gif

Post subject: Re: FI Web Server Reply with quote  

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Hello all

Last night I was working on my firewall trying to tight security after the hacking of FFI, by mistake I ticked a box that I should not tick, this lead to disabling all traffic to FI web site, I went to bed after that without being aware of my fatal mistake, this morning I received an email from IW2 and he advised me with the problem, i checked the firewall this morning and discovered my stupidity, all up and running now, sorry for any downtime

Cheers

I slept through that, so I was not affected. It was nice of IW2 to wake you up. Wink It is good you keep a tight check. You never know when a goon gone berserk can strike.

Cheers, Mate
BMZ
Post Posted:
Fri 14 Mar, 2008 10:08 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
IntellectualWarfare1
Knight
Knight

Zodiac: Sagittarius

uae.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

No problem Smile

Just contributing my bit lol Very Happy

Sat 15 Mar, 2008 4:05 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Hey bro IW1

Send me your avatar and I will fix it for you

Cheers
Post Posted:
Sat 15 Mar, 2008 4:16 pm
IntellectualWarfare1
Knight
Knight

Zodiac: Sagittarius

uae.gif

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Hey bro IW1

Cheers

Do I send you my avatar through email bro?

I want an avatar showing the Prophet's Mosque in Medina

Cheers

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 8:16 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

IntellectualWarfare1 wrote:
AhmedBahgat wrote:
Hey bro IW1

Cheers

Do I send you my avatar through email bro?

I want an avatar showing the Prophet's Mosque in Medina

Cheers

whichever way mate, just send it and will fix it inshaallah

salam
Post Posted:
Tue 18 Mar, 2008 8:33 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Salam All

I apologise for the 9 hours downtime, it was suppose to be a max of 2 hours

I was using a ADSL2+ connection with TPG ISP since I started FI, the connection was reliable until 4 months ago. Every time I needed to restart the firewall due to maintenance and configuration changes , the ADSL modem can not logon to TPG straightaway, it used to take up to an hour before the PPP successfully login, a weird problem and must be related to the ISP authentication server, I tried with them for 4 months to no avail and they could not find the problem, I threatened them to cancel my account and they tried hard to keep me with them, I also have another but more expensive internet connection with another ISP IINet, which does not suffer from this silly problem, the problem with TPG was putting a lot of pressure on me because I could not restart the firewall when I wanted to avoid up to an hour downtime, I just have a lot of services running through the TPG IP address including VPN taunnels, Terminal services, Email, remote control etc etc, and changing the connection to another ISP will change the ip address and consequently all these services will stop and I have to reroute all these traffic accordingly a process that may take up to 48 hours but I found that it can be done in 2 hours on a specific time, I was trying hard to avoid this hassle, however last night, I was working at 12:07 AM and all of a sudden I got dropped from FI and my private network, I quickly knew the problem and knew that it will take up to an hour to come back, so I had enough and decided to go for the two hours downtime and move all these services to the other and more reliable ISP, managed to do all last night by 3 AM and all service came back except HTTP traffic which is covering www.free-islam.com , I was going nuts all night and did massive testing and concluded by 4 AM that it has to be IINet problem, I contacted them at 7 AM hoping they will answer and they did, however they tried to blame the problem on me and the configuration of the DNS records, I challenged them and proved them wrong, in fact I proved to them that it can not be any one�?????�????�???�??�?�¢??s problem but them. after talking and waiting and talking and waiting for about 90 minutes, by 8:30, they put me to one of their seniors, who also tried to blame it on something else, I challenged him again and told him, that I�?????�????�???�??�?�¢??m an MCSE and in the IT industry for 16 years, so he ask me to give him a minute to check something and he came back admitting that it was a problem at their end, they were blocking the HTTP traffic on my IP address for no reason, I asked them to bloody open all ports, and indeed they were slam dunked

The web site is back on the new IP address and I hope this is more stable and reliable connection that should put the internet connection for FI web server downtime to a min.

Salam

Last edited by AhmedBahgat on Tue 27 May, 2008 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Posted:
Fri 02 May, 2008 9:40 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Salam All

Free-Islam web site has gone off line for a few hours due to a problem with my domain dns records hosted by my ISP in the states, this is what is posted on their web site when I tried to troubleshoot the problem:

DNS issues potentially affecting your Website and E-mail
An unforeseen issue with our DNS system caused us to have to restore a backup from 3/16/2008.

If your site has been transitioned to the new platform since 3/16/2008, or you have created your account since that date, your website and e-mail may be affected.

Transitioned customers may notice that your website is displaying an older version. We will be correcting this during the course of the day today (Mon 5/26/2008), as we restore our DNS.

New customers that have created their account since 3/16/2008 may notice that their website is offline completely. This will also be corrected over the next few hours.

We deeply apologize for this service interruption, we know that you count on us, and our team is working as quickly as possible to restore full service for all customers.

They adviced me that it will back in 12 hours, so for the mean time I directed the traffic to my old IP address, this means within 12 hours my ISP will restore their DNS db which will direct Free_Islam back to the new IP address, which means the site will stop again all of a sudden until I reconfigure my firewall to direct the traffci back to the new IP address, pretty painful I tell you

Sorry for any downtime

Salam

Last edited by AhmedBahgat on Tue 27 May, 2008 6:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Posted:
Mon 26 May, 2008 10:25 pm
Rigel
Pawn
Pawn

Faith:

india.gif

Thankyou for the update!
Post Posted:
Tue 27 May, 2008 6:29 am
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Rigel wrote:
Thankyou for the update!

I actually posted this 1bout 7 hours ago, I knew that during my sleep it will go off line again because in this time the ISP would have restored his DNS database which will result into pointing the site to the new ISP connection, this mean it has to stop again untill I control the incoming traffic and direct it to the proper IP address on my lan, I waked up at 6 AM and it was off, so it needed a minute configutation at my end which is done, I'm expecting that there should be no down time unless the ISP screws their DNS database again,

I'm actually thinking of hosting my DNS server which will prevent this problem from happening again as I will be the one in charge to control my dns records and not be dependent on the ISP dns database, but this is a big call and won't be able to do it untill I come from my OS trip

Take care
Post Posted:
Tue 27 May, 2008 6:51 am